Saturday, October 17, 2009

$139 saves marriage

I love my hubby, yet after almost 11 years of marriage, I can definitely say that we don't work well on home improvement projects. I like to be in charge, weird I know. For the most part we know our roles. He mows the lawn, I edge. He sprays the weeds, I prune plants; He rolls the paint, I cut-in at the ceiling and around molding: He cleans the kitchen, I clean the bathrooms.
We've got a few things down. Then there are the unexpected, spur-of-the moment projects. He wants to do it one way, I want to do it another and then..... all HELL breaks loose. Of course I make it sound worse than it is. The moral is: pick your battles

We decided to get a storm door for our front door. We had one at our last house and loved it! It provides that extra bit of protection from the stranger on the porch and when you have dogs, it is a great barrier.We were at Home Depot one day looking at toilet seats and ended up looking at storm doors. So many to choose from!!! I didn't remember there being so many choices and we wanted to make the right choice (not to mention I had to send in the HOA application to get approval for our "improvement" before ordering) so we took some brochures and made our way home.

After little deliberation, we (I ) picked the Anderson 3000 series, self-storing storm door in Almond with nickel finishes. You can go from glass to screen with one hand! Eric went to order the door and hymned and hawed a little over the installation cost. Could he do it himself? Was it worth the money? Reluctantly, he added the cost of installation when he placed the order.
Eric was home the day of the installation, while I was at work. I was so excited to get home and see the new addition. Eric met me at the door.... What a beauty! It was hardly even noticeable. (It's nice and all, but I didn't want it sticking out like a sore thumb)

Here is the conversation that ensued:

Eric: What do you think?
Mel: I love it! It looks awesome!
E: I had the guys change the handle to the opposite side than what we talked about.
M: I think that was a good choice. I had thought about that today and worried there wouldn't be enough room on the porch for people to stand once the door was opened.
E: I watched the guy install this. It took over an hour to do.
M: oh yeah?
E: Yeah! If I had done it, it would be in the yard, in pieces and we would probably be divorced.
M: (Laughing) So the $139 was worth it?
E: Way cheaper than a divorce.

So there you have it folks......if you want to save your marriage, just pay the dang installation fee.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love the storm door...it's the SAME one we had installed several months ago. It's it great? Funny that we picked the same one. I was laughing as I was reading this remembering back to your very first house...the stairs and hammer incident. I still laugh about it. :-)