Sunday, October 18, 2009

Almost Free Foo-foo Coffee

I love Starbucks!!! I do, I can't help it. I reload my card, frequent the joint about 3 times a week and always get the same drink... Iced Grande non-fat Caramel Machiatto.
I knew I had a coffee problem, but didn't know I spent more on coffee per year than I did on my homeowners insurance.
Here's my tally:
$3.65 x 3 = 10.95 per week, $43.80/month, $525.60/year. (This doesn't even include the times that Eric and I go together or any food I purchase) Makes you really think, huh??

I have found a solution to my problem, that doesn't include therapy or hundreds of dollars on an espresso machine. It's the TODDY. It cost a mere $40 at a local coffee place (not starbucks, either) This is a very easy, cold brew system. (brewed espresso not included)
I picked up a bag of Espresso as soon as I could as I had to try it out ASAP.
I had to find the ingredients needed to make my favorite drink. Starbucks had the caramel sauce that they use and wouldn't you know.... they had the recipe for my drink on the side of the bottle. I never knew this, but they use vanilla syrup in my drink, so I got some of that as well.You need 1lb. of espresso and water. Plug the hole in the brewer with the plug provided. Soak the filter in water and place in the brewer. Layer the espresso and water per the directions. Let sit for at least 12 hours to brew.
After at least 12 hours, you remove the plug and let the espresso drain in the carafe.Put the lid on the carafe, place in the fridge and VOILA. It can last up to 2 weeks, depending on the amount of coffee you drink. If you like hot coffee drinks you can warm up the espresso and milk in the microwave, in a separate container.

I highly recommend this method. Easy to use and store. Plus in my case, you are going to save s&*t loads of money. ENJOY!!!

No comments: